Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Air pollution--look who's talking!

While I was shopping in Target on Saturday morning, I heard a rather loud and distinctive male voice saying things like, "I'm TIRED of this. You guys NEVER get it right. Someone's going to get FIRED. . . .the MORON had the nerve to . . ." I looked around, noticed a shy, teen-aged employee nervously doing her job, but I could not see the person talking. I pictured a store manager having this conversation with an employee as innocent looking as the one I just mentioned. I decided this just wasn't right, and started walking around, looking for "the talker." My intention was to tell him that such conversations should be held in private, not out on the floor where everyone/anyone could hear what was being said. What I found was a big, 40-something guy talking on a cell phone. Since he wasn't threatening anyone I could see, I left it alone--but I'm sorry I didn't at least go up to the man and put my index finger to my lips--the universal sign for "quiet, please."

I went to a bridal shower that afternoon for Jenny West. Her father, Steve is a dentist. Six women who work in his office came to the shower. One of them has worked for Dr. West for 20 years. Each of the women said that they really like working in that office. I had met one of these women, Melody Hoffman--who does check-in and appointments--at Sue Robinson's. Melody came to Sue's for several weeks to help out on her day off.

Steve is one who smiles, speaks softly and always has something kind or positive to say to or about others. Congeneality must be his middle name. I doubt he would be capable of a conversation like the one I overheard in Target. So, I ask myself: Will anyone stay for twenty years with the guy I overheard yelling into his cell phone?

1 Comments:

At 5/03/2006 11:55:00 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

Oddly enough, such loud talking on a cellphone would be considered a valid and acceptable part maintaining one's social standing (face) in this culture. The more space you take up, inconvenience others, flashy stuff you show, and so forth the more important/wealthy/better you are. I find this somewhat ironic since Americans are often criticised for being too loud in public places.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home