Monday, January 08, 2007

Only in America?

Today at work we recieved notice of this milestone in the pharmaceutical industry:

U.S. approves weight-loss drug for obese dogs

5 Comments:

At 1/09/2007 12:01:00 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

Just out of curiousity, does this sort of thing decrease your work motivation? Or, are you working on sufficiently meaningful things that it doesn't bother you?

 
At 1/09/2007 02:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read about it in the NY times, actually, and I had a fun time imagining the Pfizer party to kick off this drug. Anyway, I read that it is only for dogs--no cats, so Murphy is off the hook this time. I also read that it is totally unsafe for humans. the exact quote was that it would turn the liver into foie gras.

I too would like to know how things like this influence your sense of job satisfaction.

 
At 1/09/2007 08:54:00 PM, Blogger Vatti said...

In many cases, animal drugs are developed as off-shoots of a human drug program that either worked or didn't--so it may not represent an actual focus on an animal problem but a way to recoup some of the expenses associated with the very expensive process of drug development. I don't know that was the case here--it would be interesting to find out.

 
At 1/10/2007 12:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recouping expenses is a good idea. The same NYT article reported that it will cost dog-owners $1-$2 a day. And these are exactly the kinds of medicines that should be expensive. The vets they interviewed said that the drug is essentially for people who don't have the willpower to withhold doggy treats.

 
At 1/13/2007 02:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that anonymous comment is mind. Don't know why that happens sometimes . . . I'm always logged in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home