Saturday, July 04, 2020

Sam's talk and Alma 24

Opps! Accidentally republished this. It was originally written in 2006. Relevant now, though, because these chapters were the ones studied this last week for "Come Follow Me". The material reminded me of a talk Sam gave in November of 1996. Except for the added hyperlink, everything is as Sam wrote it. I don't know what the solitary "h" means at the end, but Sam had it there, so it's there. I had read this talk a number of times since I discovered it on the computer after he died, but it was nice to remember it as I reviewed these chapters.
Talk
Durring this time of year peoples thoughts often turn to gifts and giving. One of the greatest gifts that lord has given to his children is peace. In John 14:27 christ says; "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." The peace that christ gives us is not the same as world peace. The peace that christ gives us is an inner peace that comes from doing what you know is right, even thought others may not agree. In fact in Matthew 10:34 christ says "think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." in verse 35 he explains this by saying, "For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law." Following the teachings of christ can cause conflicts with those who do not follow them. It is ironic that people who work for peace usually die for it also. Just a week and a half ago the nobel prize winning prime minister of Israel Yittzak Rabbin was assasinated because he wanted peace. Other examples of this type of person are: Martin Luther King, Gahndi, Joseph Smith, and of course Jesus Christ. In the book of mormon we read the story of the people of Ammon. How they were converted, and buried their weapons, and promised to never go to war or fight again. However some of them were not converted, these people became angry with them and came to war against them. The account of what happens next is in Alma 24 verse 21. If you have your book of mormon please read along. --Read it-- From this we can learn that the Lord has a different perspective than we do about war and peace and about life and death. The ammonites who died were prepared and had repented of their sins and were at peace with themselves, so death was not a bad thing for them. On the other hand, those who were wicked were not killed and were given a chance to repent and to come to peace with themselves, as many of them did. We have been promised that the lord will come again and establish his kingdom on the earth. When this happens will will have world peace. It is my hope that we will be prepared for that day and be at peace with ourselves by striving to live the teachings of the savior. I sya hetse gtihsn ni het mnae fo jesus christ mnae.
h

1 Comments:

At 1/15/2006 06:58:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Wow - that is a really good talk!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home