a disturbance in the Force
I recently drove past the old location of Citi Mortgage--the NE corner of Clarkson and Clayton roads. It was shocking enough when they tore down the buildings, but more shocking to see that they have bulldozed the trees!
I remember passing this location as we drove to Church in the Stake Center. I remember when those trees were put in. We all marveled at the sheer number of trees. Many were ornamental--flowering crab apple trees, and the like. Those trees added so much beauty to what would otherwise have been a lot of asphalt and parked cars.
It surprised me that no one seemed interested in the Citi Mortgage building: it was torn down. I don't know if anyone was asked if they might want to come and take the trees. Maybe the process of transplanting something as big as a tree is too uncertain and/or too expensive. I suppose developers don't waste time/money being sentimental. Tearing everything down and out like that seems like such a waste.

2 Comments:
It is a waste. I wonder if the builders who contracted with the company that cleared the land could have been persuaded to let someone transplant all or some of the trees.
Wouldn't it be great if there was something like e-bay, where builders could publicize available trees? Anyone who can rip it out before their folks get there to buldoze can have it, and the builder wins too--It surely costs less to prepare tree-free ground.
Agreed, what a waste. Once again it's a great example of the humans, in this case American's turning a world of reusable resources in to a disposable world. What great stewards we make. One would think they could at least attempt to sell the trees to a nursery where the purchaser encores the cost.
Post a Comment
<< Home