Saturday, May 17, 2008

Twilight zone

This morning about 5:30 AM we noticed that the clock radio had no power in our bedroom. Then we noted that none of the lights would work. Mutti went downstairs and reported, however, that the power lights for the computer, printer, and other peripherals, were lit. Also, the microwave digital clock was lit with the proper time, but the oven digital clock was dark.

I thought it was odd that only part of the house would be without power, so about an hour later (after deciding it was time to get up even if we didn't have lights in the bathrooms), I decided to check the circuit breakers in the basement. On the way I verified that the downstairs lights didn't work either, but that the TV would turn on, and that the VCR was displaying the right time. More evidence pointing at the breakers. However, upon examination, no breakers were tripped. However, I did trip the oven breaker off and on, just to see. It did not appear to be tripped.

So I go upstairs to the kitchen. I notice that now the microwave clock (on the same circuit as the oven) is now flashing "set time" and that the oven clock is still dark. So I set the microwave clock to 6:50, the current time. And I go around and check light switches, etc., and verify the partial on-off state of electricity in the house. The lights still do not turn on. I check the radio in the kitchen--it turns on. Then I check the range top. As I turn the knob for one of the burners, not only does the burner indicator light come on, but the range hood light also comes on! And at the same time the oven clock lights up, indicating a time of 5:34. I reset the oven clock (now it's 7:01) and now discover that all the lights are now functional, both down and upstairs, and electricity appears to be flowing normally everywhere.

On the surface it appeared that my turning the knob on the range top triggered the restoration of power to the deficient part of the house. How could that be possible?

2 Comments:

At 5/17/2008 10:24:00 AM, Blogger suz said...

i remember many years ago, waking up in the pitch black of our house and not being able to turn on any lights. bedroom, hallway, bathroom...none of them would work. and i swear it wasnt a nightmare. the lights literally wouldnt work. it happened at least twice, and it freaked me out big time.

 
At 5/19/2008 10:48:00 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

The power for that circuit flows through the corpse of a dead squirrel that had been trying to chew through it. The corpse had shifted during the night, breaking the circuit. When you turned teh kobt, it shifted back, thus restoring power.

Really, it's very simple.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home