Implicit Association Tests
Today I was reading the on-line version of the ASBMB Journal and was interested in an article on pages 26-27 titled "Making the Unconscious Conscious: How Bias Hinders Under-Represented Talent in Science". In the article is a link to an on-line software tool called Project Implicit . Clicking the Demonstration button and going to the Demonstration Tests, I chose the "Gender-Science IAT" or Implicit Association Test. It was an interesting exercise that I would recommend. (They have all sorts of tests dealing with race, sexuality, age, weight, etc., and even Obama-McCain, so if Science/gender bias is not what you are interested in you can choose something else.)
After the test, this was my result:

And this is how others scored on the same test. I was right there with the most common score.
I don't think I have such a conscious bias, but the purpose of the test is to uncover unconscious bias. So, what does one do with an unconscious bias? I'd be interested in how the rest of you score.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home