Friday, November 07, 2008

Ducks, Mulch, and Festivals

This morning while Dad & Ruth visited Warm Springs, I was getting a rake to clean up some pine needles when I saw this odd sight by the clothesline in front of the pomegranate bushes:

Dad says the duck has been around for a few weeks, apparently living off the compost pile behind the bushes. Later that day I picked a few bushels of pomegranates and Dad & I took them to the Rawson's to be juiced. After we got back it was time to spread turkey mulch (aka Nutri-Mulch) on one of the garden rows. Dad had ordered two huge mounds of it because his supplier in St. George was going to stop supplying it. It took a number of wheelbarrow-fulls to get the job done.


Then Dad raked it out and I used the rototiller to work it in.



Later that day we went to the annual Pomegranate Festival which consisted mostly of outdooor arts & crafts booths near the Old Logandale School. The Rawson family was selling several varieties of pomegranate jelly and offering free samples and Dad & Ruth enjoyed talking with them.


All this time various dance groups composed of middle-aged ladies were performing in an outdoor pavilion. One group did a number to "Surfin' USA" and wore long t-shirts on which they had drawn a bikini on a slender body. The illusion was short-lived but funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home