The other shoe
Press release today, 11:01 AM Central time:
"As part of the consolidation of research sites, Pfizer will significantly reduce R&D activities at some of its sites. The company will move a number of functions from Collegeville, Pa.; Pearl River, N.Y.; and St. Louis to other locations and will discontinue R&D operations in Princeton, N.J.; Chazy, Rouses Point and Plattsburgh, N.Y.; Sanford and Research Triangle Park, N.C.; and Gosport, Slough/Taplow, U.K. In addition, Pfizer will consolidate R&D functions from its New London, Conn., site to its nearby research facility in Groton, Conn."
My function is one of those that will be moving from St. Louis to other locations.
In other news, but certainly not unrelated, Monsanto is buying the St. Louis Pfizer facillity.
Life goes on.

8 Comments:
I'm sorry, Dad.
Humph. Now it's just more waiting, isn't it?
Wow, what a big change. Please let us know as soon as you have a clear idea of the impact of this. I'm glad they had you on the list of transfers and not closures...
Although our (my colleagues' and I) job functions are transfering elsewhere the likelihood is not good that many will find jobs in the new Pfizer. We were told that unlike earlier site closures or partial closures (like this one) there will NOT be a lot of re-location and that rather than hundreds of jobs being available there will be an order of magnitude less. So, of the 600 or so who will not have a position in St. Louis next Spring, 90-95% will need to find jobs outside of Pfizer. I hope to be able to keep working until March-April or so next year. I have not yet decided if I want to apply for (or accept)any of the few jobs that might be offered.
I should say that I am fortunate to have the option of taking an early retirement, unlike some of my friends. I just can't quite comprehend not being involved in research, however.
Thanks for the clarifications. I'm sure there are folks in the halls of Pfizer who are going to be having quite an unpleasant time. You have some big decisions ahead of you.
I had understood from MA that you were intent on working for Pfizer as long as possible (implying that you would go elsewhere to do so). I thought this was related to retirement planning issues. Do I accurately infer from your message that although you expect to be given the opportunity to move, you are having second thoughts and might opt to take early retirement to avoid relocating (or for many other possible reasons)?
Because of the above background points, I had concluded that you would certainly be leaving STL soon. Perhaps that is not actually the case and you are contemplating staying...
Another consideration is that Pfizer is likely to reduce their severance payment at the end of 2010 from 3 weeks/year of service to 1. Thus, on that point alone there will be a break even point a year after I would start a new job with them. The pattern so far is to do major layoffs every year, so I am considering whether I shouldn't just take the "bird in the hand", so to speak.
Good luck with the many decisions you have ahead. We will keep you in our prayers!
Post a Comment
<< Home