The Street Nazi
We returned from Lawrence Sunday night to find a "For Sale" sign in the 'street Nazi's' front yard. Monday, I was passing the house just as Mrs. Cahill drove in, so I stopped and asked about the sign. Carrie was surprised that I didn't know all about their situation. Back in November, on the 16th, her husband Mike and Dave,a buddy from work, went hunting. Mike was driving a truck. On a small two-lane road, he swerved to miss on-coming traffic. The truck went over a culvert that prevented Mike from being able to steer and he smashed into a tree. His buddy's neck was broken, and the buddy died instantly. This sounds oh so familiar. Dave's widow has launched a law suit (one million dollars) for wrongful death. Carrie said the woman is a meth addict with three small children. It was the husband who kept things together in that family. The Cahills would like to be able to help the children. However, there is a very good chance Mike will be charged with involuntary manslaughter and have to serve jail time. Carrie said the widow threatened revenge and the Cahills had to move out of the house for a time. Mike lost his job, hasn't been able to work since the accident, hasn't been able to forgive himself for his friend's death, and has been borderline suicidal. Carrie found a job (finally) in O'Fallon or Wentzvill that she really likes (it helps pay the bills). The oldest of the three Cahill daughters is maybe 9. She sent out a flyer in the neighborhood a few weeks ago offering to wash and vacuum cars. I think I will line up everyone I know for her services! The Cahills considered moving, but they have lived in this house for twelve years; each of their children were born here; Mike built the addition to the house himself (with a little help from his friends). Carrie knows everyone in the neighborhood. "I know I could call anyone on this street any hour of the day or night if I needed help. If--God forbid--Mike does have to serve time, I need that support network." Their current plan is to move into a house on Old State Road. It is owned by a relative of someone who lives on Covert Lane. Living there will keep the children in the same school, essentially in the same neighborhood and allow Carrie to keep her support system close at hand. I wish friends or the neighborhood could purchase the house and allow the Cahills to live there. The world needs more people like Matthew who allow the Golden Rule to influence their decisions and relationships.

1 Comments:
wow, my dislike of the street nazi now makes me feel a little sheepish...i really hate it when people get blamed for things that arent necessairly their fault. i hope everything works out for their family.
Post a Comment
<< Home