Two questions
On Monday I had my mid-year conversation with my supervisor. He is a fine scientist/manager and has done a lot to give me opportunities to advance. He asked me two questions that I thought were interesting. He mentioned that folks at his level in the organization are asked to do "succession planning", which means they should have some kind of a plan to replace themselves if the need should arise. He said he was not planning on anything happening, but he had been asked to think about what the consequences might be if he were somehow not there anymore. Basically, the two questions boiled down to this:
1. Would I want his job?
2. If no, would my answer change if one of his other direct reports (my peers in the unit) would end up being my supervisor?
My answers were "No." and "No.", which did not surprise him. The reasons could be a subject for another post, but I thought the questions were good ones to consider.

1 Comments:
for me, the second question would greatly effect my answer to the first. especially if i knew that there were people not as qualified in my group.
Post a Comment
<< Home